George Asafo-adjei and Syracuse defensive tackle Chris Slayton in the seventh ro

Mai Mult
acum 4 ani 9 luni #25699 de elaine95
Chris Sale was headed out of the game anyway Kyler Murray Jersey , so it didn’t matter if he received an ejection on his way to the dugout.

The important thing was that Sale was dominant through six innings, and the Boston Red Sox rode his performance to a 5-1 victory over the Baltimore Orioles on Wednesday for a three-game sweep.

After issuing two walks to open the seventh in a 5-0 game, Sale (6-4) was lifted by manager Alex Cora. As he was making his way to the dugout, the left-hander yelled at home plate umpire Brian Knight and was promptly ejected .

”There are going to be points in the season, points in the game where stuff happens,” Sale said. ”No one’s perfect. Obviously I lost my cool a little bit. That’s going to happen, too.”

It was the second career ejection for Sale, the other coming in April 2015 when he was with the White Sox.

”I like competing. When I feel like I’m getting something taken away from me, I get emotional,” Sale said. ”At the end of the day, hey, we’re human, stuff is going to happen.”

Sale struck out nine, allowed one run and gave up two hits in ending a run of three straight losing starts.

Baltimore has lost seven straight and 14 of 16. The last time the Orioles scored more than five runs in a game was May 24, and it sure wasn’t going to happen against Sale.

”It’s a bad combination, we’re not swinging the bat well and facing as good a pitcher as him,” manager Buck Showalter conceded.

Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez homered for the Red Sox www.cardinalsauthorizedshops.com/authentic-byron-murphy-jersey , who are 9-1 against the Orioles this season.

Betts, the major league leader in batting average, came off the disabled list Monday after missing 14 games with an abdominal strain. He played Monday, was rested Tuesday and returned to the top of the lineup in the series finale.

Betts hit a 3-2 pitch from Yefry Ramirez over the center-field wall in the third for his 18th home run .

”The quality of his at-bats are incredible for not playing, what, two weeks?” Cora said. ”I mean, the guy’s talented.”

A three-run fifth made it 4-0, and Martinez hit his team-leading 22nd homer in the seventh.

After placing Andrew Cashner (back) on the disabled list Tuesday, the Orioles recalled Ramirez from Triple-A Norfolk to make his major league debut. The 24-year-old left with the score 1-0 in the fifth, but Mike Wright allowed both inherited runners to score.

Ramirez had no complaints.

”I felt awesome, excited, happy to be here,” he said. ”It’s been an opportunity that I’ve been waiting for 12 years. Now, it’s finally here.”

Ramirez (0-1) gave up three runs and four hits over 4 1/3 innings, striking out six.

Baltimore got its lone run in the seventh, when Jace Peterson hit a sacrifice fly soon after Sale departed.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Red Sox: Cora said LHP Drew Pomeranz’s neck is sore and that the club would not plan for his return until after a weekend series in Seattle. Pomeranz originally went on the DL on June 5 with biceps tendinitis. … 2B Dustin Pedroia (left knee) has been doing some weight lifting but is staying away from baseball activities for now, Cora said.

Orioles: Orioles reliever Richard Bleier Andy Isabella Jersey , one of the better performers on a ragged team, clutched his shoulder after throwing a pitch in the eighth inning and was immediately removed from the game. Asked for a prognosis, Bleier said, ”I have no idea. I don’t feel great right now.” Bleier is 3-0 with a 1.93 ERA over 31 appearances. … IF Tim Beckham (core muscle surgery) will begin a rehab assignment at Double-A Bowie on Friday, Showalter said.

UP NEXT

Red Sox: LHP David Price (7-4, 4.00 ERA) seeks his sixth straight win when Boston faces Mariners ace Felix Hernandez in the opener of a four-game series at Seattle.

Orioles: After taking Thursday off, Baltimore opens a three-game series against the visiting Miami Marlins in a matchup of last-place clubs.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — After making three picks on the opening day of the NFL draft, New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman was quick to say how great it is when need and value match.It ended up being the story of all three days of the draft for the Giants, who are in a serious rebuilding mode after winning eight games over the past two seasons.Much had to be replaced with the trades of star receiver Odell Beckham Jr and top sacker Olivier Vernon to Cleveland, the loss of Pro Bowl safety Landon Collins to Washington in free agency, and a roster that had holes and a lack of depth.Gettleman got top-quality players with three first-round picks, but he also put his job on the line taking Duke quarterback Daniel Jones with the No. 6 pick overall.The Giants aren’t going to shove Jones into the starting lineup. He is going to learn for a year or so behind two-time Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning, who is 38 years old and entering the final year of an $84 million contract.However, that’s a big sacrifice. The Giants need a quarterback for the future. Their fans also want them to win now, especially after missing the playoffs six of the past seven seasons and finishing 5-11 last season.The problem is there is no guarantee Jones is going to be a sure thing. He was rated by some as the fourth-best quarterback prospect in the draft. Gettleman and coach Pat Shurmur believe he can be a franchise player.“I have to think short term and I have to think long term,” Gettleman said of using a No. 6 for a player who probably won’t see much action in 2019.“That’s the box I am in. Coaches have to win now and I ask myself a million times Brian Burns Jersey , ‘Have I given Pat and the guys enough players to win?’ It’s tough.”Gettleman said he knew two teams would have taken Jones had he not done so at No. 6, adding it was not easy to pass on Kentucky edge player Josh Allen, who was taken at No. 7 by Jacksonville.“But I think that much of Daniel Jones and his future as an NFL quarterback,” he added.Time will tell, but there is a lot riding on it for the 68-year-old Gettleman, who just finished his second draft since replacing Jerry Reese.Here’s the quick takeaway from the draft:WHO THEY GOTIn addition to Jones, the Giants drafted seven players on defense, a speedy wide receiver and an offensive tackle.The defense needed the most help after finishing 24th in the league and registering 30 sacks, tied for second lowest in the league in 2018.The D line and the secondary got the most help.Defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence of Clemson was the 17th pick overall. He is a run stuffer at 344 pounds who can get a push in the middle to help the rush.Cornerback Deandre Baker of Georgia was the third of New York’s three first-round picks, No. 30 overall. The Giants feel he was the top cover cornerback in the draft.Defensive end Oshane Ximines was taken in the third round. He is the first player drafted out of Old Dominion, where he had 33 sacks.Notre Dame cornerback Julian Love was taken in the fourth round. He is fast and can play both the slot and the outside in coverage.Wisconsin inside linebacker Ryan Connelly was the first of two fifth-round picks. He is a fast sideline-to-sideline player who had 89 tackles before his season was ended by hernia surgery. Auburn wide receiver Darius Slayton is a sprinter who averaged 20.3 yards per catch in his career.New York grabbed another speedster in the sixth round, taking Washburn University cornerback and return man Corey Ballentine.The Giants wrapped up the draft by picking Kentucky tackle George Asafo-adjei and Syracuse defensive tackle Chris Slayton in the seventh round.Asafo-adjei was the feel-good story. He was born in New York City and raised by a single mother who worked three jobs. He didn’t get a chance to meet his sister until he was 14 years old because she was living in Ghana and the family could not get her to the United States.SURPRISE MOVEPicking Jones at No. 6. It’s going to be debated for some time.HOW THEY DIDThe Giants met every major need, except drafting a young safety.WHAT’S NEXT?Right tackle is the big issue. Asafo-adjei will be given a chance to challenge incumbent Chad Wheeler. There is a chance veteran free agent right tackle Mike Remmers will be signed. He visited during free agency and is currently rehabbing an injury.

Vă rugăm Autentificare să participaţi la discuţie.

Timp creare pagină: 0.040 secunde
Motorizat de Forum Kunena